Thursday 6 October 2011

Studio Lighting with Objects/Products

From Monday 3rd October:
In the afternoon, we experimented with un-modified lighting for products. We had to bring in an object and another that was translucent.

I felt that this experiment went wrong because my object was so small and I didn't realise until after I'd finished my set of images that I should have worked at a smaller scale in terms of distance between the equipment in comparison to the general set up that it was in. Not only that, but the image info got deleted before I managed to write them down, so I cannot record them on here, however I am aware at what I did here!


So in this one, it was my initial image which I found to be over exposed, so I closed the aperture to let less light through the lens.


This was the result after changing my settings, looking at the correct exposure here.


You cannot hardly tell the difference, but this image was done with a diffuser to dull down the light.


I wanted to add more shadows, so I put a piece of black card next to my figurine in attempt for the light to be drawn into it and not bounced off, but this didn't make any difference, I think it was because the card wasn't close enough to the object.


The final and favourite image, taking the black card away, making a cone out of black paper and putting it over the pan light as a home-made snoot created this spot light effect. Again I would suggest next time could be done to a smaller scale.

I feel that I have experimented well here, but I could have done better with more effects and a better product to work with, however I do get the general idea. Somehow I missed out on using white card to lighten the shadows, but I know the effect, I will demonstrate all these techniques again, perhaps with a household light.


So my second object in which was translucent actually lit up itself via led lighting!




This was too dark, so I firstly opened up the aperture a bit.




The light changes colour, so that is not part of the lighting change by the way! This one has more light in, but still not at a sufficient level to see that it's a butterfly. I widened the aperture and also slowed down the shutter speed, I kept doing it until I could see the whole butterfly.




Which ended up like this! 


So for this, I feel like the object is still too small, but I would like to try working with artificial lighting in more cases with both still lights in view or the experimental painting work.

No comments:

Post a Comment